We are all different. Everyone has unique requirements for attaining happiness and what makes one person happy may be very different from what makes someone else happy. Make a plan for attaining goals that you believe will make you happy. Your mood will very likely increase as your pursue your goal because you will feel better about yourself for going after something you value. My take is that happiness should follow from a life of true significance and attaining your life goals is part of this.
A FEW TIPS THAT MIGHT GUIDE YOU ON HAPPINESS IS THE FOLLOWING:
- Surround yourself with happy people. It is easy to begin to think negatively when you are surrounded by people who think that way. Conversely, if you are around people who are happy their emotional state will be infectious.
- When something goes wrong try to figure out a solution instead of wallowing in self-pity.
- Spend time everyday on the most import things in your life. Think about them and internalize a visual picture of when it is different.
- Take some time each day to do something of real importance. It doesn’t have to be big but you have to tick the box on it.
- Keep your sense of humour.
- Maintain your health. You need to do regular exercise.
- You need to learn to say ‘no’.
- You need to be in the moment. "Through self-observation, more presence comes into your life automatically. The moment you realise you are not present, you are present. Whenever you are able to observe your mind, you are no longer trapped in it." - Eckhart Tolle
- You need to play more.
- Focus on what is happening on the inside. "Make it a habit to monitor your mental and emotional state through self-observation. 'Am I at ease this moment?' is a good question to ask yourself frequently. Or you can ask, 'What's going on inside me at this moment?' Be at least as interested in what goes on inside you as what happens outside. If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place." - Eckhart Tolle
YOU WERE DESTINED FOR HAPPINESS BUT THEN AS A RESULT OF MORE PURPOSE. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SABOTAGE YOURSELF IN NOT BELIEVING THAT THIS IS INDEED POSSIBLE.
"Life is simple. Everything happens for you, not to you. Everything happens at exactly the right moment, neither too soon nor too late. You don't have to like it - it's just easier if you do. If you have a problem, it can only be because of your unquestioned thinking. How do you react when you believe that the past should have been different? You scare yourself stuck, because what you resist persists. You get to keep your stressful world, a world that doesn't exist except in your imagination; you get to stay in the nightmare. It hurts to oppose reality, because in opposing reality, you are opposing your very self." - Byron Katie
SOME GUIDING TIPS (QUOTES) ON HOW TO CHANGE:
- "Change alone is eternal, perpetual and immortal." - Arthur Schopenhauer
- "Change means movement. Movement means friction." - Saul Alinsky
- "The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it." - Marcus Aurelius
- "If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it." - Mary Engelbreit
- "We are entering the dimension where we have control - the inside." - Byron Katie
- "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves." - Viktor Frankl
- "Things do not change; we change." - Henry David Thoreau
- "Our only security is our ability to change." - John Lilly
- "It's not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." - Charles Darwin
-- end --
You may reprint this article as long as you leave it as is and credit the author:
CALLIE ROOS – www.callieroos.com
From: Special Forces Operator. Land and Sea Survival Specialist. Pastor. Senior Military Staff Officer. Community Leader. Honorary Game Ranger.
To: Facilitator. Speaker. Author. Philosopher. Change Agent. Mentor.
Callie Roos has a unique blend of leadership experience crossing the boundaries of nature, military and the spiritual realm making him one of the biggest game changers of his time.
Callie is able to use his philosophies and experiences from the wilderness and lessons learnt in the military and corporate world to bring new revolutionary thinking and solutions to everyday businesses, future leaders, youth and communities. He follows a unique approach as he uses the African Bushveld Savannah as the backdrop against which he unpacks businesses and their operations.